Saturday, January 17, 2009

Make a battery powered bead spinner!

I made my own battery powered bead spinner today, using pieces I got at second hand stores. I found a used toy potters wheel for the base. It takes 4 batteries, and turns steadily at a speed that works well for bead spinning. For the top, I found 2 bowls that have the turned in top edge to keep the beads from spinning out of the bowl, and flat bottoms. One of my bowls is wood, and the other is glass.
I assembled the bead spinner with Velcro strips. I put 4 strips on the top of the wheel, and four squares on the bottom of both of my bowls. The potters wheel has circles on the top which make it easy to center the bowls on the wheel.
Then I put my beads in the bowl and turned my bead spinner on. Now I have a $5 battery powered bead spinner, with a built in tray to catch dropped beads.



My wood bowl is smaller than the glass one. A definite convenience is that I can change bowls without putting the beads away, and I can have as many bowls as I can find in thrift stores.
The mechanism underneath holds the tray about 2" above the table, and the little cup holders on the side will also hold a funnel, so it's easy to put the beads back in the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment